Cart total: $ 0.00
Steps to Complete
1) For the cake layer: Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. Lightly grease a 9-10 inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment. Wrap the pan in two layers of aluminum foil and set aside.
2) Melt 10-oz. chocolate on low heat over a double broiler until smooth. Remove from heat and, using a whisk, stir the softened butter in.
3) In a separate bowl, place egg whites in a large bowl with about a third of the sugar. Beat on low. Gradually increase the speed and beat until the mixture begins to look fluffy. Add remaining sugar, salt and vanilla. Continue beating until all sugar is dissolved and the meringue looks shiny, nearly soft-peak stage.
4) Add half of the meringue into the chocolate mixture and whisk gently. With a spatula fold in the remaining meringue, keeping in mind the heavier batter at the bottom of the bowl.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 26-28 minutes, until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) When you remove the cake from the oven, let it cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for 1 hour. Run a knife around the edge of the pan, unlock the ring from the springform pan, take it off and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Remove the bottom of the pan and parchment paper then place the springform ring back around the cake to use as a mold for the chocolate mousses.
7) For the chocolate mousse layer: Place 10-oz. chopped semisweet chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
8) In a separate small dish, soften gelatin in cool water. Set aside.
9) Bring 1/2 cup heavy cream to a boil and pour it over the chopped chocolate, stir it gently, until smooth and the chocolate is completely melted.
10) Heat softened gelatin in microwave for 15 seconds.
11) In a separate bowl, whip the remaining 1 cup of heavy whipping cream until a soft peak forms. Chocolate mixture must be free of lumps and reach a temperature of 80-degrees. Add about half of the whipped cream to the chocolate and whisk gently until it's all combined. Fold in the remaining whipped cream.
12) Spread mousse over the top of the cooled cake in the ring and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle Pirouline Twist cookie crumbs across chocolate layer. Place the cake back in the fridge while preparing white chocolate mousse layer.
13) Repeat the directions for the chocolate mousse layer, using white chocolate. Steps 7-12.
14) Spread the white chocolate mousse over the top of the chocolate mousse and set back in the fridge to chill for at least 4-5 hours (or overnight).
15) Before serving, run a thin knife around the edge, open the lock and lift off the springform pan ring. Garnish the cake with reserved Pirouline Twist cookie crumbs and chocolates. Store in fridge.